Monday 16 January 2023

RA-RA SKIRT | Dancing with the Stars celeb Stephanie Roche says, ‘I’d love to dance to a Wolfe Tones song '

...just not that one, says soccer star StephanieStephanie with dance partner Ervinas

Dancing With The Stars celebrity Stephanie Roche has defended her fellow football players from the Ireland ladies team after they were caught up in controversy singing ‘Ooh Ah Up the ‘Ra’ in celebrations when they qualified for the World Cup.

And while Stephanie admits she would think twice about dancing to the Wolfe Tones pro-IRA ‘Celtic Symphony’ song which contains the disputed line, she would be up for performing to another number from the band as she’s a huge fan.

So much so, the Dubliner confirms she was thrilled last weekend during rehearsals for the hit show to meet Wolfe Tones frontman Brian Warfield, who penned ‘Celtic Symphony’.

“It was great to have him there. I loved the band as a kid, so just to have him there was nice,” says the 33-year-old Shamrock Rovers player and former Ireland star.

The FAI was fined €20,000 by Uefa after complaints about members of the Irish women’s team singing along to ‘Celtic Symphony’ in their dressing room last October, which was even the subject of a police investigation.

““I know every one of those girls, I know there was never any malice in it. “It was just about celebrating the moment they had and they got caught in the moment and unfortunately it was caught on video and other people take a different perception of it. “ It’s a proud moment, the girls were in the heat of the moment qualifying for the World Cup. “There’s obviously words that some people don’t agree with, but I don’t think there was any malice in it,” she argues.

“I’d have to avoid anything to do with that,” said Stephanie when asked if she’d dance to that tune.

But she is considering doing a routine to a different Wolfe Tones song.

“I’ve always been a big fan of them, I love their music, I love their story telling. I think they keep the history of our country alive,” she says.

​ Stephanie finished bottom last week with a score of 13.

“This weekall the ladies are doing ballroom, all the lads are doing Latin. Our dance is the foxtrot and we are dancing to Love Song by Sara Bereilles,.

“I just want to enjoy the experience as best I can, it’s something I will never do again.”​

Dancing With The Stars was broadcast on Saturday night on RTÉ1 6.30pm

With many thanks to the: Sunday World and Eugene Masterson for the original story. 







No comments:

Post a Comment